Tankless water heaters are modern tech devices that provide an instant supply of hot water.
It heats water only when it is needed which saves a significant amount of energy when compared to traditional water heaters. Also, it doesn’t have the need to require a heavy tank to hold water as well as to heat it up.
It can give outstanding benefits to homeowners and small business. They are highly efficient and flexible due to their compact size.
However, it is necessary to maintain these heaters to ensure long life and top level performance.
Following are some steps through which you will be able to maintain your tankless water heater to ensure its optimal performance and efficiency.
1. Removing limescale
As you use a tankless water heater, with time the heater will store minerals inside the tank’s heating chamber.
Removing these minerals is a very important step for maintaining this heater. The method will vary by manufacturer but usually to remove lime scale the heater should be flushed once a year.
2. Flushing the water heater
Heat exchange is a very important element when minerals are accumulated inside the heater. Flushing these minerals out when heat exchange is blocked must be done to prevent it from damaging the unit.
You have to follow these steps in order to flush your tankless water heater:
- Your very first step will be to turn off the power supply of your heater. Whether it has a gas connection or an electrical one, just turn it off.
- Then you have to shut the water valves. This will prevent the water from flowing out during the cleaning process.
- The next thing is to remove the purge port valve caps from the purge valve located on both the valves (that are the hot and cold water valves).
- Now attach your hose lines to each of the valves. If these lines are not provided with the unit, you can get it from any retail store. These hoses will discharge and flush water from the heater.
- Open the purge port valves.
- Now you need undiluted white vinegar to clean your tankless water heater. You’ll need a total of 2.5 gallons of vinegar. Using vinegar to clean instead of a commercial chemical solution is safe because you’ll be using the device’s hot water for bathing and drinking.
- The directions provided by the manufacturer of your tankless water heater are to be followed to flush and drain your device.
- Once you have completed the flushing process close the purge port valves.
- Hosing lines are to be removed by disconnecting them from all of the water valves.
- The purge port valve caps need to be replaced onto the purge valves.
- Now you can restart your tankless water heater according to the instructions provided in the manual by the manufacturer.
- When turning on the hot water tap make sure to do it slowly so that air passes through the pipe.
Here’s a video that shows the flushing process:
3. Cleaning the screen filter
This is another step for maintaining a tankless water heater. The screen filter is located on the inlet fixture of the cabinet. This needs to be cleaned so that any accumulated debris can be removed from it.
For this process, the water supply has to be turned off. Then to unfix the filter just remove the screw, rinse the filter off and fix the filter again in the device.
This video shows how to clean the filter:
4. Cleaning the burner
Cleaning the burner of your heater is highly recommended to maintain it efficiently.
For this, you need to turn off the gas or electrical connection. Now take out the upper cover by unscrewing it. Next, remove the circuit box and then you have to remove the gas supply line clips.
Then pull gas pipes out and rest of the screws on the burner cover to pull it off. Now, take the burner out by disconnecting all of the wires.
When the burner is out, take a piece of sandpaper and clean the rods on the burner with it. Be careful not to damage the wires.
You might find it difficult to do this. But maintaining your tankless heater is important. So, call in a technician if you must.
Tankless water heaters are very useful as they save your time. You don’t need to wait for the water to get warm. They also help save on energy costs.
It’s a reliable device available from different manufacturers in the market. It tends to have a long life if you maintain it accurately.
To ensure your safety (as well as the devices) always check the manufacturer manual before performing any of the maintenance tasks.